Keep an interruption log for one week—to track the sources of your interruptions. Write down the list who interrupts you, when, for what reason, and for how long. Then figure out what you can do to reduce the interruptions.
- Stop interrupting yourself.
- Remove distractions from your work area.
- Keep needed supplies close at hand.
- Set small goals with scheduled breaks.
- Do not start a new project without finishing an old one.
- Resist temptations to slack off, such as drop-in visitors.
- Do not procrastinate.
Laura Bushnell is Editor in Chief for National Review Brand Foundation of Consumer Updates and based in Boston. Previously, she held senior VP level positions in corporate finance and consumer financial planning firms.